Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reusable Sandwich Bags

Tonight I decided to finally make the reusable sandwich bags that I have wanted to make for the last year. Just over a year ago my husband and I decided to take a class at our church called Financial Peace. This is a course in managing your money by Dave Ramsey. After beginning the class I decided to pack lunches in order to save money. A few months into my lunch making frugality, the number of plastic baggies I was using started to bother me. At the time I was only packing for my 9 year old and myself. Between the two of us I was using about 6 baggies a day, not too bad. Over the course of a week that is 30 baggies, a month 120, a year 1200. That is a lot of garbage over the course of our lives.

This year my youngest is going to preschool. To make the lunch lady's job easier I try to open all of her food and put it in easy to open bags. The number of baggies has jumped astronomically! Time to finally use the tutorial I dug up last year and the special fabric I bought for the project this spring.

One evening from start to finish - eight reusable lunch baggies. There are only 6 in the picture because 2 of them are already in lunch boxes, holding our cookies for tomorrow. If you would like to make some of these for yourself you can find the tutorial here http://www.craftbuds.com/make-reusable-sandwich-bags/.
 
Happy Sewing
Heather
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment