One old binder
1 large button
1/4" wide elastic
thread to match
Dissect the old binder. Cut it open and remove the cardboard from inside. Cut these pieces into 2 pieces at 8 1/8" by 5 1/4". (I traced my kindle and cut the cardboard about 1/4" bigger around.)
Cut the main fabric into 2 pieces at 8 3/4" by 11 3/4".
Cut the batting into 1 piece at 8 5/8" by 23"
Layer the fabric on both sides of the batting with right sides out. Be careful if your fabric is directional. Make sure they are both facing the same way. Sew down the center of the 2 pieces of cardboard then next to each piece of cardboard in between them. This makes 3 lines of stitching in the center, allowing the cover to easily fold to the back while reading. Stitch around the outsides with 1/4" seam allowance again.
Create a loop closure with a piece of the accent fabric cut at 1" by 7". Fold this in half with right sides out. Then open and bring the edges into the fold line on both sides. Refold in the middle with right sides facing out. Stitch near edge.
Cut 2 strips of accent fabric at 2 1/2" wide. Connect the strips into one long strip using a diagonal seam. Fold this long strip in half with right sides out. Open and fold 1/4" under on the short side, this becomes your beginning. Attach the closure to one of the short sides of the cover on the opposite side that the binding is being sewn on. Center the closure placing the unfinished ends of the closure on the unfinished edge of the cover. Sew on the binding with a 1/4" seam allowance. At the corners fold the fabric at a 90 degree angle to the seam you have just sewn. Then fold into the opposite direction and begin sewing the next side. Repeat for all four corners. Then attach to the outside of the cover using a 1/4" seam allowance. Tuck the end into the beginning to hide unfinished end.
Fold the binding over to the opposite side. Pin and sew along the edge of the binding. I do this from the same side I attach the binding to, so that it is a straight line.
Time to put the elastic on. I positioned the elastic so that it would cover the corners without interfering with the buttons or screen. I then sewed across it 3 times on each side in a seam that was already sewn, to hide the stitching on the outside. Trim near the seam. I used a lighter briefly on the edges to prevent fraying.
Attach the button using the loop to determine the placement. Hand sew the button to the front, trying to only attach it to the top layer of fabric and batting.
Voila! Safe keeping for a very loved Kindle.